Ramona Sod Installation Tips
Five steps for sod preparation and installation in Ramona:
- Measure area for Sod: Multiply the length times the width. This gives you your total square footage to order. Suggestion: Add 5% to the total for irregular shapes.
- Soil Preparation for Sod:
- Clear the site of all rocks, stones or other debris that is larger than 2-3 inches in diameter.
- Rough grade the entire area to eliminate drainage problems by sloping the grade away from building foundations and filling low-lying areas.
- Till the existing soil to a minimum depth of at least 2 inches before adding any topsoil or soil amendments.
- Add topsoil, if necessary, to achieve a total topsoil depth of 4-6 inches.
- Test the soil pH for balanced and healthy soil before installing sod.
- Apply starter fertilizer that is high in phosphate. Typical starter fertilizer recommendations are (N-P-K) of 10-10-10 or 19-19-19. Lightly incorporate this starter fertilizer into the top 2-3 inches of topsoil to avoid root injury.
- Lightly tamp or roll the topsoil to settle the surface and create an ideal surface for installing the sod.
- Order necessary amount of sod and schedule delivery on the day you plan to start laying your sod: Install day of delivery! Same-day installation of your sod is imperative to the success of establishment. Sod is a living plant that requires immediate water, nutrients, and air to live and establish itself.
- Laying Your Fresh Quality San Diego Sod Farm Sod Grass:
- Start at a straight line such as a driveway or walk.
- Lay out the sod as you would a rug or tiles.
- Make sure all joints are butted tightly together – without overlapping or spaces between strips of sod.
- Stagger the joints in each row like rows of bricks.
- Use a large sharp knife for shaping sod around trees, at flower beds or along borders.
- Completely soak the sod with at least 1″ of water. Start watering 20 minutes after the first strip is laid.
- Roll the sod to smooth out small bumps and air pockets. This will assure good contact with the soil.
- Immediate Watering Schedule:
- To gauge watering, simply place an empty can about 6″away from sprinkler.
- When there is an inch of water in the can, it is time to move the sprinkler to the next area.
- Reflected heat along buildings dries sod quickly; be sure to water such areas more often.
Ramona Weather and Growing Information
Ramona Average temperature:
Summer High: 94.4 Low: 53.3
Winter High: 67.8 Low: 35.4
Ramona Average Humidity:
Ramona has hot days and cool nights in the summertime and warm days and cool nights for fall and spring seasons. Ramona weather is influenced by the coastal marine layer and fog, producing good gardening and plant growth in the Ramona Valley. Ramona is a broad valley that is walled by hills and mountains isolating it from surrounding towns and cities. The valley has an average elevation of 1450 feet and annual average rainfall of 16.5 inches. Ramona is approximately 30 miles east of downtown San Diego. San Diego Sod Farm Office is located in Ramona with the sod being fresh cut and delivered straight from the farm in the San Pasqual Valley. Buy Ramona sod and place your sod order now with San Diego Sod Farm (760) 789-8010.